Monday, September 12, 2016

Classic Summer Fun at the Fair

I have so may memories of going to the fair as a child. Some of the memories are distinct, others are just a blur of childhood. I grew up in a small town, my dad is from an even smaller farm town, so between our county and visiting my grandparents, we were at at least one fair a summer. My family went to concerts, demolition derbies, rodeos, carnivals, and anything else we could.

Since Brett and I have been married I have been dying to go to the fair with him, but it never worked out for some reason. But each summer that it didn't happen just renewed my motivation to take my children to the fair. There are some things I know are going to be lost on Corinne at such a young age, like Disneyland or nice clothes, but I was so excited to take her to the fair for the "traditional family activity" factor. Creating traditions with our kids is one of the things I have looked forward to and enjoyed the most.

We knew that Corinne's young age meant we wouldn't be going on rides, or staying out late for the concerts or rodeos (we really need to relax and do a babysitter someday), so we went on a Saturday afternoon. We just took our time walking around all the exhibits, taking breaks in air conditioning when needed, and enjoying the fair food! I l.o.v.e. fair food. Seriously. Fair food and sports arena food are my weaknesses. I was talking (out loud) about how excited I was for my funnel cake for weeks, no joke.
And of course we had to play carnival games. Wasting a few dollars on carnival games that you know are rigged against you is fine once a year for the experience. Especially when you actually win! I won this terrible little turtle, and for some reason it is one of Corinne's favorite toys these days. We don't understand it, and yet its funny that she loves it so much.

So until next year, and hopefully all the years after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment so we can get in touch.