Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Corinne's Birth Story

Birth stories are a funny thing. They are something that everyone wants to know, I love talking about, and yet can get pretty personal. After spending almost seven weeks with Little Miss and talking about her so much, I have gotten pretty good at telling the story without so many of the details that are too gory or personal. So here it is, the story of the day we became a family of three....

First thing you need to know is that through my entire pregnancy Corinne was measuring to be a big girl. Every ultrasound I had showed her to be consistently measuring about three weeks bigger than her age. Combine that with the fact that both Brett and I were born a couple weeks early, we were maybe thinking that this baby would come early too. But hey, we also assumed she would have red hair, and that didn't happen either. So when that didn't happen, it was the longest couple weeks of my life! Looking back now I realize that those two weeks were actually pretty great. Both Corinne and I were healthy, to the point where my doctor told me to keep walking every day, and that every day I wasn't in labor I should try walking a little farther. The day before we checked into the hospital I was still feeling so far away from labor that we went on a five mile walk through the park.


The only slightly gross detail that I will share, is that five mile walk actually did result in my water breaking, but apparently you water doesn't always break all at once, but sometimes trickles. And since pregnant women pee their pants all the time, I thought that was what happened. Maybe TMI, but oh well. When I woke up the next morning and had the same problem again, I realized that it might be a good idea to go to the hospital. So we packed up our bags and the morning of my due date took that anxious drive, arriving at about 11:00 am Sunday morning.

After arriving at the hospital we found out that my water had in fact broken and I was in the beginning stages of labor, but wasn't feeling any contractions. When I was hooked up to the equipment the nurses were able to see that I was having regular contractions, but they were so faint that I wasn't feeling 90% of them. Since my water had been broken for so long, there was a higher risk of infection so I was put on a round of antibiotics and they started me on pitocin to help induce the contractions.

At this point I thought it would just be a few hours until my contractions were intense enough to at least be progressing and get an epidural, but it took forever. There were hours of sitting on a birthing ball, watching a small television, reading a book, and trying to talk enough to distract myself from how long it was taking to see any results. Finally at the 7:00 pm shift change when I still hadn't progressed AT ALL, my mom actually went back to our apartment to eat and get some sleep. At about 11:00 pm I was finally beginning to progress and was to the earliest point where they would allow me to get an epidural. The nurse told me that getting the epidural would help me relax enough that I should start to progress at a faster rate, so we were hoping for that. Plus, the few hours of sleep that I got after that was the best sleep I had gotten in months!

By 4:00 am I had progressed enough to call my mom and the doctor and let them know we would start to push at about 5:00 am. That hour went surprisingly fast and before I knew it, it was go time! Delivery went well with no complications beyond the usual expectations, and at 6:20 am Corinne was born into this beautiful world in all her glory.

As soon as she was born and the nurses made sure she was healthy, Brett reached into his pocket to hand my mom is phone to snap those first immediate pictures. In the process he noticed that the sun had just risen over the bay and ocean we had a view of from my room. (an entire wall was just windows looking out to the Pacific Ocean!). He whirled around and snapped a picture of that sunrise and the moment that the two of us became the three of us. Its now hanging on our living room wall next to the group picture we took in the room and is a great reminder of one of the best moments of my life.

And now, pictures....












So there it is, the story of the two days (almost three) that it took for our beautiful little girl to join our family. We are so glad that she did, and these last weeks with her have been life changing. Every day keeps getting better and easier as we move forward and I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment so we can get in touch.