Tuesday, January 12, 2016

2016 Theme: Development

2016 is full of amazing things for me and for my little family. First and foremost on my mind (and the mind of everyone around me) is this little baby that I am about to bring into the world. My official due date is a little under three weeks away, but this baby is measuring big so my doctor doesn't think I will make it that far. So that means that we are playing the waiting game to see what happens.

With the new addition to our family I know that my life is going to change dramatically, and I can't even list all the ways. It's a little hard to wrap my brain around! Since I don't know what to expect I don't want to set myself up for failure by setting super specific goals, so the goal setting process was a little unique this year. After I had my goals written out and I was talking them over with Brett I noticed the theme that had emerged-Development. 

Several months before I became pregnant I saw this quote and it really hit home for me. 

2016 is about finding this new self that is a mom. What are the routine's that I can create for myself in order to make sure I am the best mother possible for my children? This includes routines for myself, and all that I have to learn about parenting as well. How can this new stage of life be a positive experience for me, my child, my husband, and everyone that I interact with? With all these thoughts floating around in my head, this is what I will be working on for the next year to develop into the best version of myself that I can be. 


2016 Goals

  • Daily study of the Book of Mormon beginning by working through the Sunday School Manual, then the Institute Manual.
  • Magnify my work in Primary without procrastinating under stress.
  • Create a habit of exercise that is effective and sustainable with a baby.
  • Be more friendly and do a better job of reaching out to both friends and family.
  • Be honest  about how I am feeling in my new role with myself and husband. (I have seen friends and family go through periods of "Baby Blues" and know that the best way to combat this if I begin to experience it is to be honest that it is real, and take necessary steps to ensure my mental health.)
  • Develop a hobby that I can be consistent with and find joy in. In recent years I have rekindled my love of crochet, cooking, sewing, and discovered blogging. It would be great to grow even further in at least one of these categories. 
  • Go on play dates with other moms. Luckily, I know lots of moms in our area who I can do this with and I can't wait to develop these friendships. 
  • Plan a monthly family outing ranging from little activities to more extravagant ones too!
  • Learn parenting skills. Read books, talk to friends and family, anything I can do to continue learning and implement what I learn. 
  • To look for specific goals, continue working on my 101 Goals in 1001 Days

So here's to 2016, the year of Development!      

1 comment:

  1. I love this concept. Development. It is honest and hopeful. Grow, Evolve, Advance, Magnify. DEVELOP

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment so we can get in touch.