Sunday, June 28, 2015

Book Review: Dune

Summary from GoodreadsSet in the far future amidst a sprawling feudal interstellar empire where planetary dynasties are controlled by noble houses that owe an allegiance to the imperial House Corrino, Dune tells the story of young Paul Atreides (the heir apparent to Duke Leto Atreides and heir of House Atreides) as he and his family accept control of the desert planet Arrakis, the only source of the 'spice' melange, the most important and valuable substance in the cosmos. The story explores the complex, multi-layered interactions of politics, religion, ecology, technology, and human emotion as the forces of the empire confront each other for control of Arrakis.

Published in 1965, it won the Hugo Award in 1966 and the inaugural Nebula Award for Best Novel. Dune is frequently cited as the world's best-selling sf novel.

My Thoughts: I love this book. I had read it once in high school and remembered that I loved it, but wanted to see why I remembered I loved it. I am so glad I reread it. This book is the perfect combination of fantasy, sci-fi, politics, philosophy, and religion. I really enjoy reading a book that is detailed. It took me a couple weeks to get through the whole thing, but that is because it is long. And the story is substantial enough to justify the length. I would compare it to The Lord of the Rings in the way an entire world is created.

Each character is complex and has a great story that weaves into the others. Their interactions are wonderfully written to show the variety of relationships that exist in the world. These relationships are the sole reason for all the events of the story. Each character needs to come to grips with their role in the saga, the influences they have against others, and the intricate social-political schemes of the elite. There is so much that I can say about this book (and if you have read it let me know so we can talk) but for now I will just leave you with my 5 out of 5 star rating. Go read it!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment so we can get in touch.