Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time


Summary from Goodreads: Christopher John Francis Boone knows all the countries of the world and their capitals and every prime number up to 7,057. He relates well to animals but has no understanding of human emotions. He cannot stand to be touched. And he detests the color yellow.

Although gifted with a superbly logical brain, for fifteen-year-old Christopher everyday interactions and admonishments have little meaning. He lives on patterns, rules, and a diagram kept in his pocket. Then one day, a neighbor's dog, Wellington, is killed and his carefully constructed universe is threatened. Christopher sets out to solve the murder in the style of his favourite (logical) detective, Sherlock Holmes. What follows makes for a novel that is funny, poignant and fascinating in its portrayal of a person whose curse and blessing are a mind that perceives the world entirely literally.

My Thoughts: To be honest, I was disappointed in this book. I feel like it was misrepresented as a mystery novel and was somewhat of a letdown because of this. The idea behind the book, an Autistic boy trying to find out who killed a dog in the neighborhood, really intrigued me and I was excited to follow along from this unique perspective. However, not far into the book the killer very unceremoniously announces themselves ending the mystery almost as it is beginning. I assumed there would be a twist later to keep the mystery going, but nothing else happened in that regard. The remainder of the book focused on the struggles of the boy to relate those around him, reading emotions, and completing seemingly simple tasks. If the book would have been advertised as the everyday struggles of a boy struggling with Autism during some dramatic events I really think I would have enjoyed it more, but because I was always looking for the next part of the mystery I wasn’t able to enjoy what was there. Right now, I will have to give this book a 2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment so we can get in touch.