Last summer I walked in my front door and something was different. After a minute I realized that the wooden card table we had set up in our temporary Seattle apartment had been replaced by a wooden table with a black top. Turns out that Brett saw it on the side of the road with a free sign and decided it was perfect for us. It was more solid and stable than the normal table we used, so why not?
The biggest pain with this project came from stripping the old paint and varnish off before we started sanding. Neither of us had done this before so when I bought some stripper I just sort of picked one. And it didn’t work well. We thought this was because we didn’t use enough and let it sit for a long time, so we bought some more and tried again. Sadly, this left us with a table covered in paint and varnish that was now gummy, but still not coming off. The third time we went to the store we got a brand that worked wonders! It was a thick gel that spread out and as it peeled away the layers it would turn white so it was a relief to see that it was working after the previous days’ failures.
With the white cabinets, light walls, and lots of windows in our kitchen and dining area, I wanted the table to stay a lighter color so we just did one layer of a light stain before all the coats of sealant. Eight days after we first took the table apart we finally got to set it back up and we are happy with the result. We gambled on the free roadside table and now have something that should be able to last us for years as our family grows.