Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Book Review: The Count of Monte Cristo

Please forgive the Spanish cover. This is the only one big enough that didn't have a creepy face.
















The Count of Monte Cristo-by Alexander Dumas

From Goodreads:
'On what slender threads do life and fortune hang'

Thrown in prison for a crime he has not committed, Edmond Dant├Ęs is confined to the grim fortress of If. There he learns of a great hoard of treasure hidden on the Isle of Monte Cristo and he becomes determined not only to escape, but also to unearth the treasure and use it to plot the destruction of the three men responsible for his incarceration. Dumas' epic tale of suffering and retribution, inspired by a real-life case of wrongful imprisonment, was a huge popular success when it was first serialized in the 1840s.


My Thoughts:

This book has been on my To Read list for a very long time but I knew it would take a serious commitment. It makes sense that the story was originally a serial, but today the unabridged version is over 1200 pages. Since I ride the bus to work every day, and would read on lunch breaks, I spent an average of 2 and a half hours ever day, Monday through Friday, reading this book. It still took more than two weeks. I am not going to lie, there were some points when I thought "This is so good, but I am so done reading it. I just want to know the rest of the story already!" But I am glad I stuck it out.The book well written, so full of information about the world and history that I envy all the knowledge that Alexander Dumas had in order to put something like this together. 

The Count of Monte Cristo as a book is one of my favorite reads. Ever. It is so fantastic. It is not just a story about wrongful imprisonment and revenge but so many more things I feel like they deserve a list

  • Do the ends justify the means? 
  • Do two wrongs make a right?
  • Does God know what is in our hearts?
  • If God take an active part in our lives, is our life in our own hands, or both
  • Anyone can change their fate if they work hard enough
  • Wealth can be used for corruption but also for good, depending on the integrity of the person
  • Forgiveness of those who have wronged you, but also responsibility for those you have wronged
  • Overcoming trials 
  • Understanding that happiness can still be found, in fact must be found, through trial

I want to finish with a couple quotes that gave me shivers as I read them.

“I am not proud, but I am happy; and happiness blinds, I think, more than pride.”

“Learning does not make one learned: there are those who have knowledge and those who have understanding. The first requires memory and the second philosophy” 

“For the happy man prayer is only a jumble of words, until the day when sorrow comes to explain to him the sublime language by means of which he speaks to God.” 

“Fool that I am," said he,"that I did not tear out my heart the day I resolved to revenge myself".” 

“There is neither happiness nor misery in the world; there is only the comparison of one state with another, nothing more. He who has felt the deepest grief is best able to experience supreme happiness. We must of felt what it is to die, Morrel, that we may appreciate the enjoyments of life. 

" Live, then, and be happy, beloved children of my heart, and never forget, that until the day God will deign to reveal the future to man, all human wisdom is contained in these two words, 'Wait and Hope.” 



This is a book that I may never read again, but I loved it so much that I would still buy it to keep on a bookshelf, reminding me of all the things I learned, what I thought, and how I changed through reading it. I would highly recommend this to anyone who wants to take on the challenge. And no, watching the movie does not count, it is very very different. 



2 comments:

  1. I loved this book, it is one of my favorites. I have read through it once, and have gone back to read bits and pieces of it. I really like this book, glad to hear you enjoyed it and learn from it. I like the quotes you pulled from the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot about this book! I'll have to add it to my list. Love that last quote especially.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment so we can get in touch.