Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Coming of Age in Mississippi


This book is a few months old, and I couldn't decide if I was going to write about it or not. This was assigned in my US History class last semester right after The Jungle, and I didn't like it as much as the first. This book gives a girl's perspective of what it was like to grow up in the South leading up to and during the Civil Rights Movement. It begins with her childhood, moves through her college years, and ends with her as an activist participating in the south and in Washington D.C.

It was very eye-opening to read, but also very difficult to read. This first hand account of the Civil Rights Movement shows the levels of injustice and anger that existed. Most surprising to me was the anger that existed from both sides. One thing is that I wish that there wasn't as much language in it. I can usually handle my swear words, but in this case the f-bomb starts to wear on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment so we can get in touch.