Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Christmas Books

Traveling and spending so much time in a house with so many people meant I looked for every opportunity I had to hide a way and read a book. My favorite spot in Brett's parent's house is the chair by the fireplace and so there I was. Here is the list of the books I got to read in just 14 short days!


The Crucible-Arthur Miller
I really liked this play. It was fairly short, but so interesting to me. Again my nerdy history-ness is coming out, but I loved reading it after taking both halves of US History on campus. The play about the Salem Witch Trials was really written as a poke at the Red Scare in more recent time, and I loved seeing the connections. The part about asking if the accusers are always holy? Beautiful. I loved every bit of it. Now I need to see the movie. If Daniel Day Lewis is anything like he was in Lincoln or Last of the Mohicans I know it will be great.


The Lost Symbol-Dan Brown
I had started to read this book once before but never finished so I read the whole thing again. Sadly, I understand why I never finished. I felt like it couldn't really keep my interest. Maybe I have just read too many Dan Brown books at the is point (Deception Point was my first introduction and still one of my favorites), but it just seemed so predictable. Also, the ending was a little anti-climatic for me. If you have read it and want to talk about it sometime, I am available. I might read the next one, I might not. If I do I'm not in much of a hurry.



Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince-J.K. Rowling
H.P and the Deathly Hallows (still finishing but got halfway before school)-J.K. Rowling
I am from the generation that grew up with Harry Potter. If that is the case than how in the world had I never read the last two books?! By the time I was able to get my hands on them, I was in my freshman year of college and really busy so I settled on listening to the audio version while I did other things, just so I could go to the movies and not feel guilty. Well when you listen to audio books for that long you start to tune out so I missed a bunch, but went to the movies anyway. So now here I am reading the last two so I don't feel like a poser. Its okay if you want to judge me. Anyway, I love them. They are everything I could possibly have ever wanted.

My next series goal: The Lord of the Rings.
Again, I did not discover this amazing story until college and have not had the time to invest in reading them all consecutively, meaning I feel like a poser. I want to marathon these books, so I am thinking maybe this summer. I can say that when we watch the movies, Brett and I always battle because I think the only versions worth watching are the extended, but he doesn't think its worth 12 hours of total time. We have been able to reach a compromise and settle on watching them once a year, 2 hours a day for 6 days in a row. Is it sad? Probably. But is it worth it? Definitely!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment so we can get in touch.