Monday, January 13, 2014

A New Semester and Some Frustrating News

The first week of the new semester is official under our belts, and man is it going to be a tough one! I am in 16 credits and Brett in 18. Put on top of that that we both work, and you understand why we aren't surprised to be so exhausted by the end of the week.

The silver lining is that I am really excited about my courses this year. I take a wonderful mix of history, education, and classics courses. I am finally at the point where prerequisites are done and I can choose my classes which is wonderful! Ancient Iraq? Yep. Greek and Roman Mythology? Double yep. Even more exciting is that I am finally going to learn to be a teacher! It's not student teaching yet, but my current introduction class has us go into classrooms and volunteer in a variety of ways. I am really looking forward to it and will probably have some thoughts in the future.

I also can't stop wearing this scarf that I got for Christmas. Leave it to my little sister to know exactly what I would love!


Small note on the frustrating news. I have always known that I have a strong family history of high cholesterol, so even though I am still quite young I decided to talk to my doctor and have it checked. This way I would have a good understanding of where I was and time to keep or change any habits. Well wouldn't you know, but it's already high. We have had to make a few changes, which has been complicated and difficult to understand sometimes. I already exercised fairly often and didn't exactly eat badly just apparently not well enough, so now I am having to learn all sorts of things about how to eat even better.

To make me feel a little better and to congratulate ourselves on making it though such a difficult week of school and news, we decided to try to turn this need for extreme health into some fun, finding a place that we could grab some food from that is good for me and within our budget for "fun extras." Lucky for me, I remembered that at a Mongolian grill I can control what my portions and ingredients are. So there we went! It will still be a struggle for a little bit. It is getting easier. On the bright side, I bought the wrong oranges the other day but got to try my first blood orange. It was so delicious.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment so we can get in touch.