Thursday, January 9, 2014

2014 Goals

Again, I fully acknowledge that I am behind the times on the New Year, but only in regards to recording it.

Unlike last year, I decided to be more specific with my goals this time. I was really happy with the success that I was able to achieve with just a few small goals, and that has given me the confidence to be more specific. By doing so, I think it will work to make me more accountable and will be even more enjoyable to be able to easily see the progress.

To help I broke down my goals into five categories like I saw my friend Elisabeth do a year ago. This really helped to organize me and make sure that I was staying well rounded in what I wanted to accomplish. These are some of the larger ones, but there is a whole list in my notebook on a variety of topics.

via
  • Physical: 
    • Keep increasing my exercise and water intake! From using my year long chart (seen here and here), I discovered that I only exercised 70% of the days that I wanted to. That is a lot better than it was the year before, but something about tracking each day and seeing the final number really holds me accountable and pushes me to do better. Don't even ask about November though, something like a 52 page paper (on top tests and other papers) got in the way.
    • I also just found out that the family problem of high cholesterol is no discriminator of persons. Yep, got tested and I have to make some changes. So eating betting and running more has been part of our lives the past couple weeks and needs to continue to be. 
  • Spiritual: 
    • Make even more of an effort to read scriptures daily.
    • Write in my journal like I used to. I got my first journal when I was 8 and since then I think I have filled 5 or 6. The sad part is that I have been 3 years on this current one and it is not even halfway filled. Recording experiences and thoughts can be powerful, and I need to get back in the habit. 
  • Social:
    • Make an effort to make a friend this summer when I am living in a strange place. We don't know where we are going yet, but Brett will be working (hopefully me too) so I need to be proactive about being comfortable in our new place. 
    • Blog more than I did last year. Not saying that I am going to do this every day, but lets say get to 100 posts for the year? That's 30 more than last year. 
  • Financial: 
    • Continue working with my great husband tracking our expenses and sticking to our budget. Having amazing software that allows you to track each and every transaction in one place makes this much easier. 
  • Intellectual: 
    • Keep my energy level up with school. I have been working really hard to get really good grades, and one of my biggest fears is that I will get burnt out by the time I start student teaching a year from now.  I am so close to the end compared to where I came from, I just want to power through! 
    • As a small note, I also want to read at least 12 books for fun (not assigned) this year. Reading is one of my favorite hobbies, and I just need to make time for it. 

1 comment:

  1. I need to read more for fun too! The way I get two birds with one stone is that I'll read them on the elliptical or while I walk uphill on a treadmill. People stare at me reading Harry Potter. But it's worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment so we can get in touch.