Thursday, September 5, 2013

Thoughts on School and Potential

School started again this week and I was so excited. You would think that after taking classes full time through the summer I would be burnt out, but these last two weeks have been just enough for me. I am really lucky that I love my classes so much that I am always ready and willing to go back. (You can read about what I study and why I love it here.) It also helps that I am one of those people that likes to be busy. The stark difference between the stress of finals week and the immediate absence of school is a little weird for me.

I am feeling a little over my head however. I have a ton of pages of research to write, and I am a little at the bottom of the totem pole in my classes. Since my major is so comprehensive and varied, I am not as specialized as some of my classmates. I skipped from a 100 level political science class right into a 300 level one, and although it doesn't have any prerequisites, I am with lots of political science majors who have taken several classes and had internships in Washington D.C.. I would be lying if I didn't say I was intimidated.

I am determined to be awesome though! I have learned through my educational experiences of the last few years, that for me school is all in my head. I know that sounds silly, but its true. If I tell myself the result that I want, and make the appropriate to do list to accomplish it, I can live up to my potential. My potential may not be to go work on Capital Hill, but that is perfectly okay with me. I want to fulfill my teaching potential. If I can have a positive effect on one of my students that inspires them to go on to Capital Hill, then I will have succeeded. This whole idea of comparison and recognizing my personal potential has been on my mind a lot lately and after reading my friend Elisabeth's thoughts, I decided to just write about it! So thanks for reading the rambles.

This school year holds big things for both Brett and me. He is beginning his graduate degree and I am finally able to start mixing in some education classes with my content classes. This will help bring us even closer to our future career goals through internships and some more real world experience. I am really excited to see what the year brings and to learn more about politics and history!

1 comment:

  1. you are so awesome and so right.
    i hope this semester goes great for you both!

    K

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment so we can get in touch.