Monday, August 5, 2013

The Forgotten Garden


When we visited my family back in April I borrowed a bag full of books from my mom's bookshelves. It was one of my favorite parts of the trip. I sat on the living room floor with piles of books around me and discussed them all with my mom and husband. Why she liked certain ones, which ones discuss this topic, which ones do others, etc. Sadly, I am reading them a lot slower than I was expecting due to the fact that I am taking classes this summer, but I did finish this one a while ago.

Short review: I liked it, but didn't necessarily love it.
It took me a little while to get into, but once that happened I just wanted to know what happened but not necessarily all the details. I have this problem where once I start a book, I have to finish it no matter what. That is where I was with this book. 

The story covers three generations of women and bounces around in time to show events as they are happening to each woman. These kind of books tend to frustrate me because story lines seemingly drop off at the end of a chapter when you jump back from 2005 to 1900. By the end everything wrapped up together nicely. It was a simple read and if I wouldn't have had homework I would have finished it quickly. If you are looking for a simple read to pass the time, this is not a bad choice. 

3 comments:

  1. I just picked this up from the library, but haven't started it yet. I have the same problem with needing to finish something once I start it... same goes for movies and tv shows, too! It still sounds interesting to me, but after reading your review I know I'm going to have to pace myself instead of just trying to rush to the end to find out what happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sure love you. I actually enjoyed the read. Maybe because I was able to read it in one shot, so I didn't get lost in the time-line, I don't know. Glad you finished it.
    That was a fun time for me too. lmL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this a while back on a vacation--I think I agree with you, it was nice, easy, but not brilliant or life-changing!

    The Random Writings of Rachel

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment so we can get in touch.