Thursday, June 6, 2013

Onion Strings and a Side of Hamburger


Among many other fantastic things, my mom has passed to me her love of onion rings. I remember when a local chain finally arrived in my hometown that was known for its onion rings, my dad went and picked up some flowers and an order of onion rings. Looking back I honestly don't know which present she was more excited for. That aside, I stand firm with my love of a deep-fried, battered onion. I will not even begin to pretend that this delicious snack is not bad for you, but at least I use a recipe that isn't battered, so that helps a little right? This recipe just uses a dry flour mixture and then straight into the oil. I also love cutting them so thin, it makes them perfect to eat in bunches, or on a burger, like we did yesterday. Just like my love of onion rings, my mom also told me where to find the recipe from The Pioneer Woman. Check out this wonderfully easy recipe below!


Onion Strings

Ingredients
  • 1 whole large onion
  • 2 cups buttermilk (I also just use regular milk sometimes and it is fine)
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 T salt
  • 1/4 t cayenne pepper
  • black pepper to taste

Instructions
  1. Slice onion very thin. Place in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk and soak for at least an hour
  2. Combine dry ingredients and set aside
  3. Heat oil to 375 degrees
  4. Grab a handful of onions, throw into the four mixture, tap to shake off excess, and put in hot oil. Fry for a few minutes and remove as soon as golden brown.
  5. Repeat until all onions are done

Enjoy your onion strings! Seriously, once you start eating them you will not want to stop. I am always amazed at how quickly I can eat an entire onion. Good thing this is a no-judgement zone. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm pretty sure mom didn't even notice the flowers until the onion rings were gone!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment so we can get in touch.