Wednesday, February 20, 2013

My Recent Sweet Tooth


My two favorite sweets are chocolate covered almonds and caramel. A close second is popcorn. Over the last two weeks I have had these treats to my hearts content!


Brett and I talked when we were getting married  and decided that we were not going to put a heavy focus on Valentine's Day. We don't buy presents and we stay home and just have a calm night. This year we bought some steaks and had a fantastic dinner. Since Valentine's day is still a tradition in our culture, Brett stops at the candy shop on campus and gets us a bag of chocolate covered almonds to share. Other than that, you couldn't tell Valentine's Day apart from any other day. (As a note, although Valentine's Day isn't focused on, we do celebrate our anniversary with a dinner out and other activities. We just decided that our anniversary is more personal than Valentine's Day.)


Further, this week I got to combine caramel and popcorn! Just last night we found ourselves with about 90 minutes of free time in the evening and sat down to watch one of our new favorite shows, Community. When we sat down Brett asked me to make caramel popcorn, and I was more than happy to do so. We went through a phase where I made it so often that we got sick of it, but it was time to bring it back!


I still use the recipe that my parents used when I was growing up. It is so simple and so delicious. If you like your caramel a little softer, just cook the caramel for a few seconds shorter. I usually do this and it is fantastic.

Tingey Caramel Popcorn

1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. white karo syrup
1 c. packed brown sugar


Put all ingredients in a pot on the stove and melt together.
Bring to a rolling boil and boil for 2 minutes.
Quickly pour over 2 quarts plain popped popcorn.
Stir, let cool, and enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment so we can get in touch.