Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Getting Fit

So believe it or not, I used to be in fantastic shape. Growing up, my parents kitchen counter was the perfect height to lean backwards and crack my back on. I did that and mom would poke my stomach and say "Oh wow! Did you know you have really nice abs? That's a six-pack!" It would stroke my ego a little and I would move on with my life.

Then I tore a tendon in my hip and my shoulder within a couple weeks of each other. That put my legs and arms out of commission. Before I knew what was happening, I leaned on the counter to crack my back, mom poked me and said "Ooohhh. Sorry."

That was three years ago. Why is it taking this long to try to get back in shape? I have no idea. Maybe its the fact that I hate running. Maybe its the fact that I know just how difficult it really is to get back into good shape. Maybe I just didn't want to. Honestly, it's probably a combination of all of these.

Well now I'm here to say that this is my third week of running with Brett. Three weeks! Three weeks and each time I come back I no longer fell like I am immediately going to collapse. Three weeks and I am only walking once.

I'm not pretending that I don't still have much further to go. My goal is to run a 5K with Brett in the next little while, then a 10K in spring, and maybe (just maybe) a half marathon at the end of next summer. I think a year is enough time. I just have to keep a positive attitude about this running thing. Sadly, I feel like this picture (found of course on Pintrest) shows exactly how I feel.




2 comments:

  1. Remember the ladies on the ski lift? "You can do it!" haha! I can't wait to come and cheer you on like you did for me. lmL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well if you're feeling especially ambitious, there's a 5K in Payson next weekend for Onion Days! ;-) Honestly though, you look awesome and I had NO idea that you were "out of shape". You're amazing to go running with Brett! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you! Leave me a comment so we can get in touch.